Following are the instructions to apply restrict access for activities:
1. To use the restrict access feature, it must be enabled by an administrator by checking the "Enable conditional access" box in Site administration > Advanced features.
2. A restrict access section will then appear for teachers/managers on the Activity settings screen, with an 'Add restriction' button.3. While editing activity settings, click on 'Add restrictions' button and choices will appear:
- Restriction can be based upon Activity completion, date, grade, the group or grouping the students are in or even user profile fields. The 'Restriction set' button also allows for more complex criteria requiring nested conditions.
- Activity completion: This button only appears if you have Activity completion enabled in your course.
Activity completion allows the teacher/manager to set completion criteria in a specific activity's settings. A check (tick) appears against the activity when the student meets this criterion. The criterion might be viewing, receiving a certain score or a student marking it as complete.
Site administration > Advanced features > Completion tracking must be enabled on the site.
Note: If Completion tracking has been enabled, the teacher will see the Activity completion group in their course settings. However, it is possible to track activity completion without using the Course completion feature. It is also possible to use this feature with the Conditional activities feature. These 3 features can be used separately or in various combinations in an activity.
- Date: Access can be restricted from or until a certain date and time.
- Grade: You can specify a condition on any grade in the course: the full course grade, the grade for any activity, or a custom grade that you create manually. You can enter either a minimum value (at least percentage), a maximum value (less than percentage), both, or neither. The activity will only appear if the student has a value for the specified grade, and if it falls within any specified number range. You can add more than one grade condition. All conditions must be met in order for the activity to appear.
- Group and groupings: If groups or groupings are used in the course, it is possible to restrict the activity to a certain group or grouping. Group or grouping button will appear only if group or grouping exist in the course.
- User profile: Access can be restricted using one of the following user fields:
AIM ID - This is the value in the 'aim' column
Address - This is the value in the 'address' column
City/town - This is the value in the 'city' column
Country - This is the two letter country code, NOT the name of the country.
Department - This is the value in the 'department' column
Email Address - This is the value in the 'email' column
First name - This is the value in the 'firstname' column
ICQ number - This is the value in the 'icq' column
ID number - This is the value in the 'idnumber' column
Institution - This is the value in the 'institution' column
Interests - This is the value in the 'interests' column
MSN ID - This is the value in the 'msn' column
Mobile phone - This is the value in the 'phone2' column
Phone - This is the value in the 'phone1' column
Skype ID - This is the value in the 'skype' column
Surname - This is the value in the 'lastname' column
Web page - This is the value in the 'url' column
Yahoo ID - This is the value in the 'yahoo' column
- Restriction set: It allows to add a set of complex restrictions to apply complex logic.
- Hiding the conditions:
If the eye is SHUT then students who do not meet that part of the condition will not see the activity at all.
If the eye is OPEN the students who do not meet that part of the condition will see the activity but it will be greyed out and have information about why they can't access it yet.
- The shut eye takes precedence. For example, you could have 2 conditions, one based on date (with eye shut) and one based on completing a previous activity (with eye open). That way, the activity will not appear at all until the date; then it will appear, but tell you that you need to complete the other activity; then when you complete the other activity you can access it.
- For OR and NOT AND type conditions, you only get a single eye icon instead of one for each condition. Further restrictions may be added by clicking the 'Add restriction' button again, and it is possible to specify that ALL the conditions or ANY of the conditions are required before the activity is made available. Thus, it is possible to use 'Or' as well as 'And' conditions.
- Restricting access to course sections: It is possible to restrict access to activities within a whole course section by specifying the conditions in the settings for that particular section.
- Site administration settings: Administrators can disable selected restriction settings if require from Site administration > Plugins > Availability restrictions > Manage restrictions.
-Virtual Slate Version1.0