Course categories organize courses for all Moodle site participants. The default course category on a new Moodle site is "Miscellaneous" (although this can be renamed).
A Course creator, Administrator or Manager can put all courses in the Miscellaneous category. However, teachers and students will find it easier to find their classes if they are organized in descriptive categories.
1. Click Admin Dashboard
2. Under Course Management, click Manage Categories and Courses
3. Under Course and category management, click Create new category
4. Select a Parent Category
- The default category is Top or you can select an existing category
5. Enter a Category name
6. Enter a Category ID number (optional)
- The ID number of a course category is only used when matching the category against external systems and is not displayed anywhere on the site. If the category has an official code name it may be entered, otherwise the field can be left blank.
8. Click Create Category